Monday, March 3, 2014

Fight of Navrang

I am visiting Thattekad - Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary in Cochin, Kerala, for the past 2 years during winter. I like the place, for its abundance & colours in bird life. During my last visit, I wished to see Grey-headed Bulbul, which is one of the highlights of the place, but I missed it. 

Few weeks later, I decided to visit the place again for a weekend, just for Grey-headed Bulbul. I booked the tickets and started, just for one day, only for the particular bird. 

I was lucky that, the first bird I saw and clicked was the Grey-headed Bulbul. There were around 10-12 birds, foraging the fruits (called "muLLiyampazham", locally). Usually, a plenty of these birds are found in these trees. But as the fruiting season was getting over, I couldn't find many of them. I was happy, as the mission was accomplished, and anything else I get will be a bonus.

Post-lunch, I was birding in a thicket, searching for Cuckoos. Though I didn't see any cuckoos, I saw an Indian Pitta, flying low. It landed inside a thick bush. Then I noticed, there were two Pittas. I was exited to see them together. I tried to make some images with both of them in one frame, but the bush was extremely thick, and I was not close enough. I didn't move forward but stayed there, as I didn't want to disturb the events like - mating or combat, that might happen. I waited for some action...

As I expected, they started a territorial combat and displayed an amazing behaviour. The display was a sequence of actions:

  • Both will look at the left, with it's (small) neck stretched, 
  • then, both will look at the right with neck stretched,
  • then, they show their sides, and 
  • display in the ground by spreading the colourful wings,
  • and all of a sudden, they jump towards each other, face-to-face in the air
  • In the event, one tries to dominate the other while jumping
(Looking at each other, with neck stretched, like a stare, I have observed this behaviour in Indian Blue Robin as well).


This happened for 3-4 times. I tried my best to capture the moment, but the bush was too thick with very less visibility as well as the distance was also a challenge. 


They saw each other
Look at the left
Look at the right
Look at the left again
Display in the ground
Just before the jump
Face-off in the air
Display in the air
One dominates the other
Again look at the left
The winner might be decided


Later, when referring Wikipedia, I understand that:
Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitta

//
The pittas are strongly territorial, with territories varying in size from 3000 m² in the African Pitta to 10,000m² in the Rainbow Pitta. Pittas will perform territory defence displays on the edges of their territories, although fights between rivals have only been recorded once. Migratory species will defend non-breeding feeding territories in addition to their breeding ones.
//

I am not sure, if this is such a rare event and I am really lucky to witness and record it. I wanted to share what I experienced.

The term "Navrang" in the title means "Nine colours" in Hindi, which is used to represent Indian Pitta as "Navrang Pakshi" or "nine coloured bird", as it has nine colours in its plumage.

16 comments:

  1. Fantastic post! Enjoyed it very much, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. brilliant and wonderful behavioral actions captured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its breathtaking, enjoyed the writing and can only say oh how I wish I was other to see it happen. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vinod, Wonderful capture of the a great bird... The colours are breathtaking - true to it's name the Navrang !!! Glad you captured the behaviour so much in detail, gives a good perspective of what was going on.... Amazing... Good work !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, TFS. The colors look fantastic when the wings are outstretched.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent sharing& write up...too lucky u r...
    This bird is the top most in my wishlist..
    TFS...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice observation and write-up, Vinod. Lucky is an understatement ;) Wish you many more such!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too good. Fantastic shots in nice sequence... only hope I will have the privilege sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing photos.. you should share it with more online forums like India Nature Watch and also try to get this observation published in some popular nature magazines.. this will surely help people like me to enhance our knowledge of this spectacular bird.. Thanks for sharing! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantabulous. What a series man!! This deserves a lifetime achievement award!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice behavior recorded here... :)

    Regards,
    Angad Achappa
    Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an amazing feat! I am so glad that I landed on your blog through INW. All your posts are brilliant with such important nuggets of information about wildlife and bird behaviour. I have learnt a lot. Do keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete